Saturday, September 27, 2008

Module 2 - Question #2

I chose to use EndNote software. I love the “groups” feature of categorizing a selected list of references for a specific topic. I created a group name for this new list. However, I didn’t know how to import the PubMed citations. I remembered that Paulina asked this question on the Discussion Board, so I followed the advice of one of the responses and used the “Help” feature available in EndNote. I followed the instructions on how to import references…and it worked! After importing, it was easy to just click on the title of the column that said “Author” to organize the list in alphabetical order. I selected “Find Duplicates” and noticed that I had imported 2 articles twice, so I cleaned up the list. In EndNote, it’s even possible to attach the article to have available with the citation. I’ve only used the APA 5th style, but it’s possible to select other styles to meet journal publication requirements.
I’m thinking that I might try my next PubMed search through EndNote to avoid the extra work it takes to import the citations – maybe I’ll do a search through EndNote and another through PubMed on the same topic to see how the search results compare…then only conduct searches through EndNote if the search lists are similar. (I don’t want to risk missing out on information retrieval just for the benefit of convenience).

No comments: