Saturday, September 27, 2008

Module 1 - Question #1

Hi group! My name is Kelleen Brown and I’m in the Acute Care NP/Clinical Nurse Specialist Master’s program – my focus is in the CNS track and plan to graduate Aug ‘09. I’ve been a nurse for 26 years, so I’ve witnessed a constant, gradual increase in technology.
"Why do you as a graduate level nurse need to know about information management?"... As a graduate-level nurse, I need to know about information management to keep up with the times! Information management is integrated into our practice today. I need to be able to look up national guidelines and do a literature search for the evidence in order to provide current references toward the development of practice guidelines, to be a credible resource and role model, and to back up the recommendations that I’ll make for the care of patients. Quality audits and literature searches will also be important as I pursue program evaluations and research. Plus, since technology is ever growing in nursing practice, there is a need for nursing input on development teams, so having an understanding of information management and technology will help in providing more valuable input.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Hi Kelleen,
I was an LPN on the 7th floor at UVRMC in 1998. . .when you were there. It's good to see you here. Good luck with your program.
Kelly Wosnik