Sunday, November 2, 2008

Module 4 - Question #1

The readings were interesting and really got me reflecting about my past clinical decision making and how I’m now having to adapt for my advance practice position. I’ve been a nurse for 26 years, so over the years I’ve acquired experiential knowledge that I’ve used to make various clinical decisions. I think the combination of past experience with evidence based guidelines points toward best patient outcomes today.

I’m now aware of the overconfidence and hindsight heuristics & biases that I have applied in my past. I actually didn’t recognize that I used hindsight until I read about it. However, starting an advanced role where I get to more fully participate in problem-identification and management gives me a whole new outlook…including much more responsibility. It requires an expanded experiential knowledge base, so I currently don’t feel ‘overconfident’ about my abilities at all. I’m excited to learn about the availability of a CDSS and feel it will greatly benefit my practice. I can see that heuristics awareness and use of a decision support system will help me as I develop in my new role.

1 comment:

emilysouthers said...

I really liked the readings for this module. They supplemnted the How Docotors Think book nicely. I agree with you about the overconfidence issue; its not even remotely a problem. I do think this entire topic of cognitive errors is facinating though. Do other healthcare professionals read about cognitive errors? As a provider and as a patient I sure hope so.